US issues Jamaica Travel Warning over Spate of Brutal Murders

US authorities have issued a travel warning to its citizens after a recent spate of brutal murders in Jamaica - urging travelers not to walk or drive at night in the country.
According to the US State Department, travelers are being asked to reconsider visiting the country after changing its Level 3 travel advisory for Jamaica due to its "violent crimes, such as home invasions, armed robberies, sexual assaults, and homicides".
On Monday, local media reported that this month's murder tally of 65 included 19 murders during the last week alone. The US Embassy in Nassau also revealed on January 24 that there had been 18 murders in the capital city since the beginning of the year, which had "occurred at all hours including in broad daylight on the streets."
It is believed most of the recent killings were linked to gang violence as authorities urged travelers to "exercise extreme caution in the eastern part of New Providence Island (Nassau)" and to be extra careful if walking or driving at night.
The US Embassy in Jamaica warned travelers that police "often do not respond effectively to serious criminal incidents." The advisory said that hospitals and ambulances are not always reliable and some private institutions may require cash up front. It also advised to obtain travel insurance, as US health insurance may not be accepted.
The travel alert change comes days after the US State Department issued a level 2 advisory for the Bahamas and advised travelers to "exercise increased caution" in the area and the water.
Despite the warnings, Jamaica's Minister of Tourism, Edmund Bartlett, said in December that he expected a "spectacular growth pattern" seen during 2022 and 2023 to continue.
Tourism brought nearly £3.3 billion into Jamaica's economy in 2023, according to the ministry